Summertime often means leaving your home whether to take a family vacation, visit a second home or close up a winter home. Here are some important tips for keeping your home secure and safe while you are gone so that you can enjoy yourself and not worry about what is happening at your house.
Tips for protecting your home when you are away
- Don’t post your vacation on social media. Criminals often scan social media to see when people are away.
- Make it look like you are home. Use timers for exterior lights, park your car where you normally would, have someone mow your lawn, put a hold on mail and newspaper deliveries.
- Set your home alarm and let the alarm company know you will be away.
- Turn off your washing machine, dryer and dishwashers to avoid a water problem. Shut off water lines if you will be gone for a long period of time.
- Lock your doors with deadbolt locks; close and latch all windows.
- Store jewelry in a safe or safety deposit box.
- Unplug computers, TV’s and other electronics to prevent damage from a power surge.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to keep a watchful eye on your house and stop by periodically to check on things. Be sure to give that person the contact information for the account manager who handles your Homeowners insurance just in case something does happen.